Closely Held Stock
Charitable Giving Strategies for the Business Owner
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future.
Closely held stock* is most often used to support our work in the form of an outright gift. You can make a gift of closely held stock as long as the constituting documentation for the business permits additional owners and it is debt-free. The donation of closely held stock first requires you to value the interest in the business entity.
Review this checklist to see if you may benefit from donating closely held stock. Then, consult your professional legal and tax advisors to see how to maximize the benefits of this tax-efficient strategy for making a difference.
- You are a majority shareholder in a closely held corporation.
- You would like to remove retained earnings from the corporation, without having them taxed again.
- You would like to maintain a controlling position in the corporation's outstanding stock.
- You would like to avoid capital gains taxes on the shares you donate to Old Dominion University.
- You would like to receive a federal income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the gift.
- You would like to support our mission.
Click on the links below to see the additional ways to fund your gift with closely held stock:
- A gift in your will or living trust.
- A charitable gift annuity.
- A charitable remainder trust.
- A charitable lead trust.
* A gift of closely held stock requires special handling, so you should always consult with your legal or tax advisor first.
Gifts That Pay You Income
Your payments depend on your age at the time of the donation. If you are younger than 60, we recommend that you learn more about your options and download this FREE guide Plan for Retirement With a Deferred Gift Annuity.View My Guide
Make Sure You Have a Plan for All Your Assets
Download our FREE Wills KitDownload My Free Kit
- Contact Barbara M. Henley, CFRE at 757-683-6563 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Brett A. Smiley, CFRE at 757-683-4735 or email@example.com for additional information on giving a gift of closely held stock.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include ODU in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Old Dominion University Educational Foundation
Address: 4417 Monarch Way, Suite 4113, Norfolk, VA 23529
Federal Tax ID Number: 54-6052014